i heart knitting
Sunday, June 18, 2006
  Rockin and rollin and what not
I quote Danny Zuko. And I guess this sums up what I have been doing. Not a lot thank goodness. Cindy has inspired me to have a rant, but I will talk knitting first. I have almost finished a vest all of my own creating. I hope to finish it tonight, to this end I will be quick. I just thought I would update while my hair cooks. I am dying it. Again. After a fairly disastrous dying incident yesterday, I am trying again. I am also worried it might all fall out. We'll see!

I am up to the heel bit of the second Opal sock, and am knitting a pair of Jaywalkers upside down with the ebay yarn I bought. They look terrific. I had hoped to have both of these pairs finished, but hey, I have to go out sometimes.

I have made many purchases this week, including some new shoes for work, an iron (to iron work clothes) and some clothes, also for work. I have bought no yarn whatsoever. Hmm. Oh, the vest is the wrappy thing reincarnate. Waste not want not. Or want not reknit!

Ah yes, the rant. I have been witness to two incidents lately which have almost driven me to pick up pen and write to management. Incident 1 occured some weeks ago but is still irking me. Little Purl and I were shopping for a new mobile phone and had entered a reputable establishment in our little city. As we were paying for said phone, a little upstart young man was laughing his empty head off about a little old lady who was in the store because her phone had ceased to work. Her phone looked a little like this:


I was concerned he might wet his pants. I was absolutely appalled and wished with all of my wishing that I was brave enough to tell him to shut up! Of course this woman has lived through a time where some things lasted longer than a year! Of course she would be expecting to walk into a shop and be treated with respect. Grr! It was not to be.

The second incident: Little Purl and I were again in a reputable establishment, this time in the 'burbs, having a prescription filled. As we wandered the pharmacy trying perfumes and looking at trinkets, we witnessed two little chippies behind the counter having a good old laugh at the expense of someone in a set of photos that had been developed!!! Look, I am not naive and despite my youthful appearance was not born yesterday. I know if you drop a roll of film off to be developed they will be viewed by various people and perhaps even snickered at - BUT PLEASE! In full view of the public! I was disgusted. And, the comments they were making were disgusting and related to people with disabilities. I was again, appalled.

What is the world coming to? Now, my head is cooked. If you don't hear from me again it means I have gone into hibernation while my hair grows back. Actually, even if this happens you will still hear from me - I will have to live vicariously through my blog.
 
Comments:
Ok, so the 1/3 life crisis is hair related!! Thank goodness. You are just Anne of Green Gables!!
Vest and socks : cool, there is a Jaywalker competition on Grumperina's site. Happy vesting!!
It is terrible that young, and it is mostly young, people have little or no respect for others, regardless of their age. I am afraid I am well past holding my tongue. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. If you are so inclined, I think a little letter about these things is a jolly good idea.
Hope your return to work is not too hair-raising!!!
 
I have this terrible fear of dyeing my hair in case it turns grey underneath while the colour grows out, so I think you are the bravest person on earth to do it two days running.
As I get older I am finding myself braver at speaking out, but it is stomach-churning to confront others. A letter is so much more effective. It exists for a lot longer and you can use well chosen words that you always wish you had said after a "blurt".
Cheers Gillian
 
Bad service abounds I'm afraid, the ones who annoy me most are the ones who ignore you while they gossip with someone else somehting my former co-worker was particulary good at.
 
Dyed hair!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmm

I haven't had mine done for a while. (About 11 months).

Must get DH to do it for me again soon.

I absolutely abhor bad service like in the black spot of doom light.

I had an incident there last week where all 4 counters had long lines and only 1 person serving on each (1 was also on the phone).

Dyeing is SUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy
 
bad service it gets me so mad it probably will result in a good dose of high blood pressure.

mmmm dyed hair must do mine again
 
I used that phone like erm...6 years ago??? and I have changed like over 5 phones??? haha!!!

michelle
http://knitty-bitty.momo4ever.com
 
Ugh...thoughtless people is the scurge! They forgot that no matter how "fun" it might be to laugh as someone, those "someones" have feelings too.
 
I actually was one of those photo kids once. Fortunately for me and my customers, I was alone in a little booth, and just thought things at people when they came to pick up their pictures.

I'm getting old enough that I grump at everyone in public nowadays -- some day some young man is going to pour a soda on me or something when I suggest that they're being disrespectful. Oh well.

Hope you're feeling more centered now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Knitting . . . creating something from not much at all.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tasmania, Australia

Too busy to knit but can't help myself.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket


< < Previous | List | Next > >
Powered by RingSurf
ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 /

HOME TOWN POSSE
  • Cindy2Paw
  • The Knitter's Last Stand
  • Darkside of Knitting
  • Katt's Creative Knitting
  • Lil Purl
  • Shazza
  • Alone in the Stash
  • MrsMacgyver

  • I FREQUENT
  • FitKnits
  • Knizzle fo Shizzle
  • Redumbrella
  • Nerd Knits
  • Reading While Knitting
  • And She Knits Too
  • Crazy Aunt Purl
  • Grumperina
  • The Blue Blog
  • Yarn Harlot

  • Stripey Horror
  • Alien Illusion Scarf
  • Raspberry Jumper
  • Posterboy Bag
  • Odessa
  • Sox
  • Roll Brim Beanie/Hat
  • Green Squeeky Beenee
  • Pink Poomphy Scarph
  • Tiny Madam Bag
  • MIL Scarf
  • Silk Garden Beanie
  • SS Rib Beanie
  • Spectrum Sock 4 SS
  • Wrappy Thing
  • Patonyle Socks
  • Mother's Day Socks
  • Panta
  • Curly Whirly Scarf
  • Clapotis
  • Opal Socks
  • Stripey Sox
  • Diagonal Short Row Scarf
  • Mother In Law Socks 1
  • Pregnant Friend Socks
  • Mother In Law Socks 2
  • Fon Sox

  • I AM KNITTING
  • Pomatomus
  • Baudelaire
  • Two fraternal socks on two circs
  • Mata Hari

  • I WILL KNIT
  • Monkey
  • Hedera
  • Diamante
  • Crooked Cable
  • Rolling Thunder
  • Cable Twist

  • KNITTING SITES
  • The Knittery
  • Knitty
  • Knitting on two circs
  • The Wool Shack
  • That Spinning Place
  • Yarns Online
  • Knitting Yarn Shop
  • Purl Yarns
  • The Knitting Loft
  • The Wool Shop
  • Knitting Pattern Central
  • CraftBits
  • SnBLaunceston
  • MagKnits
  • For the Love of Yarn
  • Yarn Magazine Blog

  • CRAFTY SITES
  • The Organised Elf

  • I'M READING . . .
  • Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis
  • Chasing Charlie Duskin, Cath Crowley
  • The Timewaster Letters, Robin Cook
  • The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, John Boyne
  • A Drift of Derwent Ducks, Trudi Crowley
  • Out of Ireland, Christopher Koch
  • The Messenger, Markus Zusak
  • Thanks a Lot Guv, T. Garth Hyland
  • Princess Masako, Ben Hills

  • HOW MANY VISITS?
    Free Web Counter
    hit Counter

    Powered by Blogger